Clubs and groups
History of Walkerburn
Walkerburn is a small Scottish Borders community on the A72 between
Peebles and Galashiels. The village has about 450 homes and a population
of over 650 permanent residents. It is set amidst the stunningly beautiful Tweed
Valley, has a village shop/Post Office, a coffee shop (Caberston Coffee
Shop), a hotel/pub (the George Hotel), an award winning boutique
hotel (Windlestraw), a primary school
and a number of local businesses in the old mill buildings.
village was built on land bought in 1846 by Henry Ballantyne. He bought land to build a tweed mill
and a community was built, designed by 'Eccentric' Pilkington with houses
for the workers and for the Ballantyne family set on the north side of
the Tweed valley. The new village came into being in 1854, taking its
name from the Walker Burn.
The design of the village shows its back to the
main road. Viewed from the other side of the Tweed the design can
be appreciated with tiers of housing on the hillside set to take the
greatest advantage from the sun (and with geographical
elevation reflecting the social elevation of the then occupants.)
Closure of the mills in the village has led to a fall in population but
no diminution in the community spirit of the village. It remains
an active and friendly community with a wide range of activities taking
Walkerburn's location means that cycling and walking are near at hand,
with the acclaimed cycle trails at Glentress (voted top UK trail of 2014
by users) and on the hills of the Pirn within easy access, as well as
the Southern Upland Way just a short walk away on the south side of the
The village also unusually houses a small number of science based
industries and many successful small enterprises.
New updated contacts page - see 'Local information'